Thursday, December 13, 2012

Oh you guys!

I woke up this morning like every other morning since our tour began, way too early and really hungry. A few of us went for a short walk and had breakfast at Bread's Court. I had a really tasty pigs in a blanket, a really fluffy (probably not as bad for you) cinnamon twist, unlike what we think of in America. A slice of pizza that had the normal pizza sauce and cheese but with corn (yes! corn), jalapeños and ham and a iced vanilla latte. We shared a few other things among each other and finished off each others food if one of us was too full. I headed back to the hotel and packed so that I would be ready for the 11pm luggage pick-up.

Around 3:30 we all walked (as carefully as possible over the snow and black ice) over to our concert hall. We began our normal routine of a quick tech and spiking of tables, foam and prepping our equipment tables. I got into a bit of a funk and sorta kept to myself. Much easier that way, at least for me.

We began the concert and I was still in my weird mood. I didn't even understand why I felt this way. We get to our final number, Radetzky March and everyone sets up for the song and then Jim turns around and announces to the audience, in Japanese, that it was my birthday and that they were going to sing to me. Of course I don't speak but 5 words of Japanese and had no clue what was going on and before I knew it, Cheryl was whisking me away to the front of the stage. The audience began to clap for me and I being the ham that I am, took it in full stride.

The rest of Sonos played our rendition of Happy Birthday as 800 of my "closest friends" sang along. I can't remember the last time I've smiled so wide and so uncontrollably! It kicked that funky mood right out the door! How special is it to be sang to in a beautiful concert hall in Japan by some of my closest friends and a lot of complete strangers? Well I can say without a doubt, it was very special and I will never forget it. I'm so fortunate to be able to travel abroad and to do one of the things I love the most.

After we all got back to the hotel, Warren went on a hunt for birthday sweets and came back with Sapporo and bourbon. Oh and of course ice cream for everyone and a little cake for me. Jim and I went out and got more ice cream...to share with everyone. :-) We all sat in the hotel wedding chapel/lobby and enjoyed our treats together.

I've come a long way since my first season with Sonos and I owe you guys! a lot. You've mentored me and cared for me and watched me grow into who I am now and I will never take that for granted. I consider all of you my family, we definitely act like one, and I am more than happy to spend a large chunk of the holiday season with you.

I love you all very much.

2 comments: